BELOW IS OUR BLOG ARCHIVE. WE HAVE MADE THE CHANGE TO SHARING OUR JOURNEY ON YOUTUBE & SOCIAL MEDIA - HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE. GIVE US A LIKE, FOLLOW & MAKE SURE TO SUBSCRIBE :-)
As always the fit-out after we've done an area is the exciting part and always feels so rewarding after having put all the hard work in just to get to this point! We had to leave the paint to cure properly and the fumes to disappear before we could jump back in there, but we managed to get quite a bit done in the evenings and over the weekend and the cabin is definitely starting to feel like home sweet home :-) Here are a few pics of the progress:
We are also quite pleased with the condition of the deck and in particular the core after cutting out the new portholes. Wherever we've cut open so far the core has been in pristine condition! Have a look for yourself:
So what are we going to be busy with this week? We'll be working on the shower floor and drain, plumbing, drawers and many more "little" projects like this before we'll be moving on to our next area on the boat. We have also received the new keel plan from the designer of the boat and will be giving this some thought and working out the logistics around that. All in all there are so many jobs to pick from - either way - watch this space xx
Well it has been a busy weekend for us painting our cabin. We sprayed the last coat on Sunday and as of today the fumes have nearly gone. Now we are on to the next phase, the finishing phase - how exciting!
The new shower door, basin, toilet and portholes are all ready to be fitted and I picked up our mattress yesterday, ready for us to pop it in place when we've finished the messy jobs!
Below are a few pictures of the painted cabin, please bear in mind that the quality and colour are compromised by the limited light in there at present. Once the portholes are fitted and we've go some lights set up I shall be able to share some better pictures :-)
It's been a week since my last blog post but you may have noticed that I have uploaded a few more pictures on the Refit album on the website as well as the Facebook page. Needless to say, it's been a busy week for us in our cabin and especially the last 2 weeks have been a big push as Peter was on annual leave from what we call his "day job". In the end we both didn't know what day of the week it was anymore, it was either a building day or a glue & glass day or a grinding & sanding day :-)
After my last blog post we splashed out and ordered ourselves a fancy new mattress for our new berth but unfortunately there are delays with the order and so while we were initially a bit disappointed with the delay, we did decide that it give us more time to finish things and catch up on other chores that sometimes get left behind due to the fact that two people can only do so much, even if we work the hours we do...
So, we finished the carpentry work in our cabin and most of the sanding is done but we have a few more holes from old skin fittings to close up and a few new portholes to cut out. While the latter sounds like a simple task it does require a bit of thought as we have to take into consideration where we will run lines, place winches etc as most hardware will be moved from where it originally was due to the fact that we will be changing the sail set up to allow us to sail short-handed. We have also spent a day just sorting through our off-cuts of ply, sorted out our 'workshop' aka the deck, re-routed the extraction system and will need to dedicate another day to service our tools.
With Peter back at work this week we will only be painting by the weekend as we will spray paint again. The time saving of spraying vs rolling is just too great to consider any other way and it allows me to spend more time on spot-filling and detail sanding this week. So fingers crossed I'll be posting again next weekend with some photos of our freshly painted cabin - as always - watch this space....
It's that time of year again...I hope everyone has had a great Christmas and a great start into 2017. We had taken Christmas Day off and went to the beach to recharge our batteries and keep our young crew motivated but have otherwise dedicated all our time to our new cabin. Since the last blog post we have glued and glassed the new sole supports in and painted under the sole..
Once the paint was dry we could glue and glass the sole in which not only gave us a level platform again, but also the opportunity to map out our ideas in regards to layout with the help of a bit of masking tape :-) There is yet a wall to go in above the generator & motor housing/box, but as we are using the forward cockpit entrance to access the cabin while the masking & extraction system is set up, this will be a little later on, prior to the final paint prep..
We have decided on a similar bed design as in the aft cabins with locker and drawer space underneath but have raised the bed height due to the tanks. It fits a regular queen size mattress with a bit of extra storage cupboards against the hull. Having slept the last few months on Tara's bed in the aft while she sleeps in the Nav Berth, we do quite look forward to a nice stretched out sleep, perhaps we'll even sleep in starfish formation :-)
Our cabin will be 'ensuite' with a toilet and shower. The pictures above show the bed construction. The pictures below are the next area in the cabin we are working on. We aim to have everything built within the next day or two and paint prep finished before the weekend. Our goal is to have the cabin painted by the end of the weekend allowing us to move on to finishings, plumbing etc next week. I will be updating the refit photo album and blog again soon, so watch this space.....